Jenn & I went out to dinner tonight and needed a babysitter to watch Raelyn for the evening. When we got home, the babysitter’s car wouldn’t start. I naively offered to jump-start her truck, knowing full well that I’d probably cross-wire the jumper cables.
I successfully connected the cable to my Camry, but I should have known something was wrong when sparks leapt from the unconnected receptacles to the hood of her truck. Acting macho and manly, I forged ahead and did, in fact, cross-wire the jumper cables.
How do I know this? Well, as I sat down in my car to turn the key in the ignition, I noticed the entire length of the cable was smoking. I ended up completely burning the plastic shielding off of 50% of the cable, especially near the connectors. In the process, I gave myself a very minor burn on one finger (phew) and the melted plastic burned a nice hole in my jacket, which I had used as a make-shift oven mitt.
Overall, a very successful evening. The moral of my story? Know your poles.